Rabu, 16 Maret 2011

Add "Registered Dietitian" to 425's Best of Edition!


425 Editors and Staff,

I have just returned from Tokyo, Japan this morning, safe and sound. I was there on business with my fiancĂ©e when the earthquake hit. Prior to leaving for Japan, I was discussing 425’s “Best of” list for 2011 with several 425 associates. Now that I am back safe I wanted to return to my first business priority!

I am disappointed that there is no category for “Best Registered Dietitian” this year, but would like to take on the challenge and advocate having it on the list for next year. Nutrition is such a hot topic with the epidemic of obesity, childhood obesity, diabetes, hypertension, eating disorders and on and on. Nutrition plays a vital role in all disease states, especially the main issues plaguing our country at present. Registered Dietitians, or RD’s are trained for 5+ years in nutritional science specific to the human body, complete a residency just like an MD in a hospital setting and then are required to pass a national exam much like the Bar Exam. This matters because the term “Nutritionist” is not a licensed term and requires no credentials, background or training. So in advocating for my profession I hope you consider the specific title of “Registered Dietitian” to note that there is a major difference and impact on quality of care.

To give one very recent example of why I believe what I do is worth noting: a patient called my office recently wishing to seek nutritional advice for a rare disease that causes her extreme pain. The only treatment is surgery, which is extremely risky for the patient. After education and recommendations for a completely anti-inflammatory diet, she went 3 consecutive days without any pain and is continuing to feel better than she has since diagnosis.

Nutrition can change lives and I love what I do. Please consider adding “Registered Dietitian” to your most loved “Best of” issue of 425 Magazine! (http://425magazine.com/best_of_425)

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.


Ashley A Harris, RD, CD

Owner and Registered Dietitian at Crave Health

CC: Mailed copy to Premier Media Group Bellevue

0 komentar: