Sabtu, 17 September 2011

New Undergrad Intern!

Welcome Sarah Altvater - our 2nd undergraduate intern! We now have our original, Alyssa Rieser; our high school intern, Chelsea Polk; and now Sarah! Look for articles written by these lovely ladies and don't be surprised to see them sitting in observing patient appointments.

Ashley


I developed an interest in nutrition in my early twenties when I discovered a link between my frequent headaches and sugar consumption. My interest quickly evolved into a passion, and, three years ago, after spending ten years as a corporate marketing executive in the radio and newspaper industries, I decided to go back to school to become a registered dietitian. I am excited to enter my second year of Bastyr University’s graduate program in nutrition science this fall. Of particular interest to me is the role of food as medicine, especially in the areas of oncology and neurology. It’s truly fascinating to me how proper nutrition can help facilitate healing and recovery in a number of disease states and I plan to focus my future work, both as a nutrition expert and as a researcher, in this area.

I took a break from classes this summer to focus on volunteering and have had some unforgettable experiences including working on an organic farm in Ecuador and counseling diabetic children on carb counting at Camp Sealth on Vashon Island. Currently, I am working as an assistant in the Human Nutrition Lab at Fred Hutchinson Center for Cancer Research and as a research coordinator for a study on Parkinson’s disease at Bastyr University. I am thrilled to be the new intern at Crave Health and am looking forward to learning more about food and health outside of the classroom.

Sarah

0 komentar: