Rabu, 10 Maret 2010

Registered Dietitian Day 2010!

Happy Registered Dietitian Day to all the RD's out there helping educate and spread the nutrition love!
10 Fun Facts About YOUR Registered Dietitian...
1) I originally attended Pepperdine University to become a Doctor of Sports Medicine! Ended up changing my major to Nutritional Science as a sophomore after taking my first Sports Nutrition class.

2) I paid my way through that expensive university by working 2 on-campus jobs and writing and proposing undergraduate research which was eventually published as an abstract on Genetically Modified Food in Infant and Toddler Nutrition


3) I applied to 6 internships: Vanderbilt, Yale, Brigham and Womens (Harvard/Boston), Baylor, University of Houston and Bastyr. (Vanderbilt was my first choice :)


4) I passed the RD Exam in October of 2007 on my first try.


5) My first job was Lead Dietitian of an intensive outpatient eating disorder center.


6) I opened Crave Health in January of 2009, Happy One Year!


7) I have a strong liking for mint and chocolate put together. Mint Oreos, Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies, Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bars, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream...


8) The name "Crave Health" was created one night after having sat with a patient for the 20th time that day talking about her cravings...I became so frustrated that I blurted out to myself "Why is it always chocolate or bread or salt, why doesnt anyone crave their health!?" And a private practice was born.


9) I have appeared on The Food Network in a one hour special "Challenge" called The George Foreman College Grill Off where my team of 4 from Pepperdine tied for 1st place against the restaurant school from Mizzou. We made Baklava on the Foreman Grill. Impressive huh?


10) Just so you know that dietitians struggle too, yes the food part is easy for me, but I struggle to drag myself to the gym to workout. I hate running and sometimes I dont even know what the machines are for! Accountability for me lies in friends and family wanting to go workout together. Any takers?



Registered Dietitians...
Bring Food and Nutrition Expertise to the Table


Who is a Registered Dietitian?
Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts, translating the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living. The expertise, training and credentials that back a registered dietitian are vital for promoting positive lifestyle choices

Trust a Registered Dietitian
When you need food and nutrition information based on fact or need to know how a healthy diet improves health and fights disease— rely on qualified professionals in the field.
Registered dietitians draw on their experience to develop a personalized
nutrition plan for individuals of all ages. They are able to separate facts from fads and translate nutritional science into information you can use. A
registered dietitian can put you on the path to lowering weight, eating healthfully and reducing your risk of chronic disease.

RD=Expert
Registered dietitians know the science of nutrition. They have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected,
accredited colleges and universities.

Looking for a Registered Dietitian?
When you need trusted, accurate, timely and practical nutrition advice, seek the services of a registered dietitian.

To find a registered dietitian in your area, visit www.eatright.org and click on “Find a Registered Dietitian.”
Blessings,
Ashley

0 komentar: